After some time away from the build…
at my favorite annual event, Wasteland Weekend, I was ready for the next step. Getting the siding up was really exciting as this was the first glimpse of the finished product.
We initially planned on siding with reclaiming wood and I spent many hours carefully selecting and then gently deconstructing choice palettes from around the neighborhood. It became apparent that this would not only take a long time, but palette wood is usually low quality, thin, and requires lots of prep work to be suitable for exterior use.
We instead opted for this lovely blue pine that has an interesting back story.
Anyone living in the American west has surely heard of the elusive Mountain Pine Beetle that has been leaving vast swathes of forest in ruin. It’s not actually the insect that is so destructive, but the fungus that it carries which spreads and eventually kills the tree. This fungus is what gives the wood its striking, blue color. As a lover of trees, it makes me sad that so many of them are dying prematurely, but I think that each time I look at my house I’ll be reminded of the symbiotic relationship between a beetle and a fungus that made it possible. Even the destructive side of nature can be beautiful at times!
Even though San Diego County gets little rain, we wanted to build Casita II to be adaptable to an array of conditions in case we end up somewhere less sunshiny and beautiful. Many siding applications call for a “rainscreen”, which is a material used to stand off the siding from the sheathing, thus creating a space to allow air to travel and dry out any moisture that may get in. No store in the area carried any (or had even heard of it), so I cut a corrugated plastic sheet into strips and fastened them to the sheathing where the wall studs are placed.
Next, it was just a matter of leveling and attaching the tongue and groove siding to the structure.
Anywhere a piece of siding was longer than the 8-foot section, I cut the two pieces that met at 45-degree angles to better hide the seam and for increased water protection.
Once the siding was up, the window trim and fascia were simply cut and installed. Taking a lesson from Tiny Nest, I also cut sections of screen to keep critters out of the air circulation gap in the roof. Since the subfascia was showing a bit, I wanted to find a solution to cover the space while still allowing air to pass through.
I found some plastic gutter covers which I cut to size then painted and attached between the fascia and siding. This not only improves the finished appearance, but adds another layer of protection from insect infestation.
Main lesson learned — Try not to nail yourself 😉
Sprint 6 Totals
CURRENT PROJECT COST = $19,673.93
CURRENT PROJECT HOURS = 412.50
See you soon 🙂